Tomorrow, Tuesday 7 February, is Safer Internet Day, or SID. And this year's theme is Connecting generations and educating each other, complete with the slogan: "Discover the digital world together... safely!"
Two of IFFOR's core policy goals concern the creation of a safer Internet:
- Promote the development and adoption of responsible business practices designed to combat online child abuse images, user choice and parental control regarding access to online adult entertainment, and;
- Protect the privacy, security, and consumer rights of consenting adult consumers of online adult entertainment goods and services
And so we would encourage everyone to check out the SID website and see what they can do to work together and help build a safer Internet.
Here are some interesting facts that SID has put together this year:
- 26 per cent of children have a public social networking profile.
- 12 per cent of European 9-16 year olds say they have been bothered or upset by something on the internet…
- ... but 56 per cent of parents are not aware of the fact
- 44 per cent of children think that parental mediation limits what they do online, 11 per cent say it limits their activities a lot
- While at the same time, 36 per cent of 9-16 year olds claim that they definitely know more about the internet than their parents
These and many more facts, as well as useful resources are all available on the SID website.